As wives, mothers, daughters we always tend to put ourselves last when we are busy. We get caught up in a cycle of work, stress, family responsibilities and caring for others that we often forget to look after ourselves. Stress and the busy-ness of life can start to affect our bodies particularly if we don’t stop, or slow down, and start to nurture and nourish ourselves.
So for this next week I am challenging you to Strive for 5!
- 5 minutes each day to stop and relax, to calm your mind – sit and deep-breath, let your body relax, let your mind switch off, and enjoy a mini-meditation. You can do this anywhere – in the shower, at your desk, sitting in the sun or waiting in a line. Breathe in for the count of 4, hold for 4, then breath out for the count of 8. Feel the tension leave your body.
- 5 extra vegetables – in addition to what you would normally eat every day – add another 5. Vege’s and fruit are nutrition powerhouses packed full of vitamins, minerals, fibre, and antioxidants. This will increase more nutrients into your body, nourishing you to help get you through your day. It’s easy to find 5 – add berries to your porridge, or spinach to your eggs, munch on some capsicum and celery at morning tea, put some avocado on your salad or just add an extra serving of veg to your dinner.
- Go to bed 5 minutes earlier so you can get more sleep.
- Exercise for 5 more minutes each day on top of what you would normally do – or use those 5 minutes to stretch your body.
- Call 5 friends or family members you haven’t spoken to in a while and reconnect. Social connection and interaction is good for the soul.
Just taking a few easy and manageable steps to improve your health will hopefully encourage you to make your health a priority and help to sustain those healthy habits for life.
If you are struggling with any health issue and would like a health check make an appointment to see me and together we can work on a plan to get your body back into balance.
Yours in health
Jeanette Gee, BHSc (Naturopathy)
Karrinyup Wellness Centre