Happy almost holidays everyone!
As we approach the stress-mas… I mean Christmas holidays, here are a few handy tips and tricks to better help you deal with stress by reducing the stress hormone cortisol.
- Avoid caffeine, especially at night.
- Reduce sugar intake.
- Keep hydrated. Aim for at least 2 litres of water per day.
- Try eating (in moderation) the following foods; dark chocolate, bananas, pears, green tea.
- Create and follow a bedtime routine (reduce screen time, use aromatherapy, meditate and relax before bed etc…)
- Turn off all phones/electronic devices before bed and keep them outside of the bedroom when possible.
- Use relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, mindfulness, time away from screens and devices a.k.a. “quiet time”.
- Take up a hobby, such as gentle exercise (walking or yoga), painting or drawing, gardening.
- Take the time to do the things that help YOU to unwind, whatever they may be.
- Laughing and having fun. Do not underestimate the power of laughter!
- GENTLE daily exercise. (Rigorous exercise can increase cortisol levels so go for something gentle rather than a rum or boxing class).
- Take the time to nurture and invest in close relationships.
- Supplementation when appropriate (speak to your health care provider for natural supplements which can help reduce cortisol levels).
Wishing everyone a calm Christmas!
Yours in Health